Indonesia-Malaysia Youth Exchange Program was excuted trought the agreement signed by Republic of Indonesia that was represented by the Indonesian Ambassador to Malaysia, with Malaysian Government which was represented by secretary of the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports Malaysia, on 17th September 1979. The agreement was also reiterated reminder to friendship agreement between Republic of Indonesia and Malaysia on 17 March 1970, intended to achieve (with the intention of achieving) close cooperation in youth knowledge and any education field.
- To further tighten close relations and cross culture understanding among young generation in both countries, especially in the area of youth development.
- To organize more exchange program, training, discussion, and community service programs between both countries, so that the latest information can be exchanged and accepted by young generation easily.
- To enhance the leadership and entrepreneurship skill and knowledge as a primary attention, so that both countries can produce excellent future leaders.
After year 2000, IMYEP was held in several times: 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2012. The last program for youth exchange was held in 2012, 33 delegates came from all province in Republic of Indonesia and 22 delegates from Malaysia. It was held in 10 days, 5 days in Indonesia and 5 days in Malaysia. Some of the activities in this program include:
- Pre-Departure Training.
- Leadership training, discussion, and conference.
- Environmental awareness and field trip.
- Courtesy calls and institutional visits.
- Arts and culture tourism.
- Culture show and mini-exhibition.